So I have had a bit of a problem at my house lately, a smelly garbage disposal drain. At first I thought it would go away on its own. Then I tried orange and lemon peels, which helped for about two days. Then I was so fed up I went and bought some drain deodorizer at the store that was sort of clean, like really only maybe half way clean... which made me feel like I was cheating on myself.
So I placed one of the strange pod packets in my disposal and followed the directions. Soon my kitchen was filled with a strong artificial citrus fragrance and bubbles were coming up from the disposal. Ok, I was thinking, this has got to work, I can't live with this smell any longer. Well, what did you know...my kitchen and living room smelled like citrus for all of the next day. Then the smell came creeping back, this time with artificial citrus notes clinging to it....Uck! Even worse. Was I to be stuck with a smell disposal forever?!
I was determined to go the 100% clean route and figured there has to be something in my cupboards that will take care of the smell. So I put my thinking cap on....to my complete surprise my first attempt was a total success and my house sink has been stink free for over a month now. I was so impressed that I figured I would share it with you all.
- 1/4 c baking soda
- 1/2 c white vinegar
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops antimicrobial essential oil of your choice. Click here for a list of good ones.
- Pour the baking soda down your garbage disposal. You could use a funnel if you want to get technical and ensure none sticks to the sides to the drain.
- Add 10 drops of tea tree oil
- Run garbage disposal for 2-3 seconds (with no water running) to disperse the soda/oil
- Pour 1/4 cup of vinegar down the drain and turn on the disposal....wait for foaming...add the other 10 drops tea tree and the other 1/4 cup vinegar while the disposal is on...more foaming will ensue
- Let the disposal run for about 1 minute or until foaming stops
- Turn off the disposal
- Add the essential oil of your choice
- Run disposal for 2-3 seconds (no water again) to disperse the oil
- Make sure you start with a dry sink otherwise the baking soda will stick and never get to the drain.
- For the second essential oil choose one that you like the smell of because it will linger in your house.
- You really don’t have to measure out the ingredients...just guesstimate...were not baking after all.
Keep Seasonal blues away by dressing well. And I'll make it easier on you because JORD and I are giving away $100 gift certificate.
Try the best way to diffuse oils, nebulization via the beautiful Organic Aromas diffusers. No mess, no fire hazard, quite, and gorgeous!
The practice of self care is important to wellness. Learn all about self massage or Abhyanga, an Ayurvedic technique from an Ayurvedic specialist and founder of KHUS + KHUS.
Balance your mind, body, soul, and life with this one change.
Guest posting is Ayurvedic practitioner Lesley offering 3 simple tips to change your health. Get to know Ayurveda and get on your path to health!
The safe place to shop for your entire home and families needs.
Get relaxed, reduce pain, and feel calm with this at home accupressure mat.
Collagen is a much needed nutrient for radiant skin, joint health, immunity, and gut wellness. Besides adding collagen powder to my am drink I love Beauty Greens, a organic beauty supplement that boosts our skin's glow factor in multiple ways.
Collagen has many body wide bennefits but it's important to ensure the collagen is from a safe source.
Balanced energy is essential to a positive state of health. Come learn about the tools I use to keep my energy on pointe.